Monday, July 11, 2016

Bikes, Bug Spray, Blenders, and Birthdays!

Sister Loftus has now been on her mission just a few days past her year mark.  She left on July 8th.   Like the poem mentions below, she has definitely had her ups and downs but is very grateful for the opportunity to serve.   Her mission is one that has mosquito borne diseases so they have been instructed to wear mosquito spray every day and have also been approved to wear long skirts to protect their legs (no slacks in the Cambodia mission per her president). Thank you for your love and support and for taking the time to read her weekly emails.  Enjoy this email.



Dear Family and Friends, 

Well, this email is going to be about .5 seconds long because literally NOTHING is happening here is SMC. Sorry!!!! 

The Fourth of July was good. I mean, we ate some watermelon at the mission home and that was the most patriotic thing I did, but that's okay. I rapped my country with some red, white, and blue. (: 

Tuesday we had MLC and we found out that we get to buy new bikes. They are crazy cool. haha And we all get blenders!!!! They are trying to help our mission be healthier. Pretty cool. I’m way excited to start making smoothies every day. (: And we have to start wearing bug spray because they don't want us to get dengue fever or other diseases like that. Also, long skirts. If you guys want more information about all that good stuff, talk to my momma; she should know. I don't really know much about it; I just follow what the brethren and my mission president tell me to do. haha exact obedience. (: 

This week was full of teaching less actives and members, but no investigators because no one wants to learn with us... our golden investigator, Srey Mak, dropped off the face of the planet and doesn't want to meet with us anymore.. Not really sure why, but pretty heartbroken... super bummed. We're gonna need to start getting creative with our approaches and the way we do missionary work. 

Friday was my ONE YEAR MARK. So crazy. This past year as been the hardest year of my life, but honestly the most rewarding. Last week, Shellee, my young women president, sent me this poem and it is perfect. Captures missionary work. 

It is a trial and a test
A mission throws at you the worst 
Yet, teaches you the best.
I've never been so happy
I've never been so depressed .
I've never felt so forsaken,
I've never felt so blessed.
I've never been so confused,
Things have never been so clear.
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant,
He's never been so near.
I've never been so discouraged,
I've never been so full of hope.
I feel I could go on forever,
I think I've come to the end of my rope.
I've never had it quite so easy,
I've never had it quite so tough.
Things have never been so smooth,
Things have never been so rough.
I've never traveled through more valleys,
I've never ascended more peaks.
I've never met so many nice people.
I've never met so many freaks!
I've never had so many ups,
I've never had so many downs.
I've never worn so many smiles,
I've never had so many frowns.
I've never been so lonely,
I've never had so many friends.
BOY, I hope this is over soon,
GOSH, I hope this never ends.

I tried to look back and reflect on this past year, like all the things I learned and I couldn't do it. I know that I have learned so much, way too much to even begin to count the lessons and the miracles that have occurred. All I can say is that I am eternally grateful for this opportunity and privilege to serve the Lord. I love being a missionary. I got to spend my lunch hour with my MTC sisters and we were able to reminisce; so much fun. And then Sister Clark and Sister Peng threw a 30 second "birthday party" for me with a confetti cannon and some fake snow... haha oh the things you do in Cambodia for a good time. Everyone during the day told me happy birthday and at the end of the day Sister Soem asked me "sister, why is everyone telling you happy birthday again? You just had a birthday."haha I laughed so hard and had to explain it to her, she is the funniest. 

That's all I’ve got. Have a great week. Love you all. 

Love, 
Sister Loftus
Double D

One year festivities of friends, sisters and elders










 








No comments:

Post a Comment