Monday, April 11, 2016

HUMP DAY, Stueng Menchey, Khmer New Year, and Conference

Dear Family and Friends, 

So this email will be really short. (really? Does she ever send short emails?) Sorry for that but we were emailing earlier today and the power went off in the internet cafe, so we decided to go to the mall and go to "3D world “and now we don't have a ton of time. I’ll do my best to catch you all up on life here.  Here is really, really hot Cambodia. (There is literally sweat dripping from my face as I write this letter)
So yes, transfers were this week. I got transferred to an area called Stueng Menchey aka Trash Mountain. It’s pretty good. I don't know much about the area, except that it has a lot of less actives. My companion Sister Leng says it's really hard, but that's okay because we like hard things. Right? I’ve learned the hard way here in Cambodia, but that is really the only way we will have progression in this life. But opposition in all things, the area may be hard, but my companion is amazing. We are the same age in the mission, but she’s only been a member for 2 years, so she doesn’t really know a lot of the doctrines. She is the sweetest thing ever though. She’s a Khmer and doesn't really know any English, but she tries a lot, really hard to speak. I look up to her so much for that. It's been amazing to see how the lord has blessed me with the gift of tongues already. Khmer just naturally comes out of my mouth, even to the other Americans that live in the house. hahah Sister Leng only prays in English, so each prayer is the same no matter what it is for. She just uses the words she knows, so sometimes it has no grammar what so ever and is just words strung together. I wish you guys could hear her. It is the best thing ever. 
Tuesday, before leaving Kampongcam we went to the island and did some service. On the way over I took a tumble on the bamboo bridge... I felt super dumb, but all is well. I may have an infection on my knee now, but I got up and kept biking. We sawed some wood and had fun. It was good and really really hot. 
Wednesday I woke up and felt so so so sick. It was bad... I was miserable the whole day and when we got to SMC, my new area, I tried to unpack but ended up "taking a nap". Yeah... I ended up sleeping all through the night. I slept for 17 hours straight. I never threw up, but man did I feel sick... 
Thursday there was a Khmer New Year party at the church and it was super super fun. The games they play here are so odd, but so entertaining to watch. I can’t really describe Khmer New Year, it’s something you’ve got to experience for yourself.  Because of that and being sick and conference I have only met like 6 members in the ward, so i don’t really know how the ward is, and this next week is all Khmer New Year too, so we don't really have anyone to meet. They all went back to the hometowns... huge bummer because ...CONFERENCE. 
I won't talk much about this because you guys all watched it too, and if you didn’t, go watch it RIGHT NOW because it was absolutely amazing. I loved President Eyring’s talk, President Uchtdorf'’s talk, Elder Christofferson’s talk (huge shout out to my dad for being the best dad in the whole world. Let's be real, my parents are the best. you guys all know it.) and of course Elder Holland. What a way to end conference. So so so powerful. I love being able to hear from our beloved Prophet and his apostles. Such an incredible blessing that we have as members of the church. 
So much more happened, but my keyboard is kind of broken, so it’s a struggle to type and my companion is just sitting here patiently waiting.  I’ve got to go. Love you all so much!!! 

love, 
Sister Loftus
Double D

also I can't send pictures.... so expect A LOT next week!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment